The C&O Canal Trust seeks an enthusiastic, people-oriented Program Associate to manage daily operations of our Canal For All and Canal Stewards programs, and other programmatic duties as required.
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs and Partnerships
LOCATION: C&O Canal National Historical Park headquarters in Williamsport, MD
DURATION: Permanent Employee
HOURS: Full time
The C&O Canal Trust seeks an enthusiastic, people-oriented Program Associate to manage daily operations of our Canal For All and Canal Stewards programs, and other programmatic duties as required. We need a candidate with strong interpersonal, time management and communication skills, great attention to detail, strong work ethic, and ability to excel both in the office and the field.
The Program Associate reports to the Director of Programs and Partnerships, and works closely with National Park Service and C&O Canal Trust employees. S/he manages the Canal Stewards and Canal For All programs and all related volunteers, program development, supplies and activities, issues, and communications. In addition, the Program Associate will support general Trust events, including Canal Community Days, the Park After Dark gala, and other events and programs as needed. Moderate weekend and evening work will be required, but compensatory time off is available.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Program Associate will coordinate daily operations of the Canal Stewards and Canal For All programs. Duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Canal Stewards Program
Canal Stewards are independent volunteers who care for a specific location within the park on their own time and submit regular reports to the Trust.
- Manage and support the Canal Stewards, who are independent volunteers performing basic maintenance tasks such as cleaning up trash and debris, painting, etc. at their site.
- Communicate with Canal Stewards regularly. Meet with them in the field to provide extra supplies, review their duties, or answer questions as needed.
- Develop new Stewards’ site agreements and packages, conduct walk-throughs, and provide training materials and resources as part of an extensive onboarding practice.
- Expand the Canal Stewards program by recruiting community members and groups.
Canal For All Program
- Develop educational, recreational, and volunteer service programs for participants ages 5 to adult which serve to connect BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, differently abled, and other underserved and/or underrepresented communities with activities in the park.
- Collaborate with community organizations, Trust and park staff, and volunteers to create fun, positive experiences to “meet them where they’re at.”
- Manage events on day-of, including packing supplies, event set-up, volunteer coordination, and event clean-up. This entails some manual labor.
- Recruit, manage, and train a corps of volunteer leaders. Staff programs and support leaders with training, guidance, materials, and logistical coordination.
Administrative and General Responsibilities
- Maintain a quiet, private space at home for teleworking on “non-office” days. A laptop and related materials will be provided by the Trust.
- Maintain regular hours in the C&O Canal Park Headquarters building on scheduled “office” days.
- Attend meetings prepared and willing to support other programs. Coordinate with supervisor and program team for logistics, packing supplies, and other duties.
- Track volunteer hours and accomplishments, participant counts, and other information for reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 21+ and have a clean driving record, a current driver’s license, and a personal vehicle. Regional travel is a large part of this position.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree or working toward a bachelor’s degree in a related field, is preferred.
- Proficient with computer work, including MS Office, the Internet, cell phones, email, and online maps.
- Ability to lift 30-50 pounds and carry awkward bundles short distances, such as supply tubs or bagged trash. A comfort level with light- to moderate physical work and/or play outdoors, with tools and with members of the public, is necessary. Reasonable accommodation can be made for physical needs.
- Experience leading youth activities or projects, particularly with diverse and at-risk populations.
- Excellent collaborative and communication skills, both written and verbal. Able to function well independently and with a team.
- Is a self-starter and displays excellent time-management and prioritization skills.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills, able to represent the Trust in a professional manner.
- Flexible and adaptable, able to work in changing and sometimes adverse environments.
- Passion for making a difference in the world and an enthusiastic commitment to the C&O Canal Trust’s mission.
This position is full-time. Expected salary range is $32,000-34,000 per year, based upon experience. The position is based in the C&O Canal Trust office in Williamsport, MD. Limited telework at home available, but significant time will be spent working in the park. This position is expected to work some evenings and weekends, but compensatory time will be offered.
Benefits include 100% employer-covered health insurance premiums; vacation, sick, and personal leave; C&O Canal Trust’s Simple IRA retirement program (up to 3 percent employer matched); lively colleagues and community members; and a fun, beautiful working environment!
The C&O Canal Trust is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
Some experience preferred.
Submit resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31, 2023.
Click here for PDF of position description: Program Associate
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : High School, Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : Administrative